Monday, July 09, 2018

Getting Involved with a Married Person Can Cost You

Recently, there was an uproar regarding a celebrity who is involved with a married man, and many on social media were accusing her of being a homewrecker. Although the man is supposedly legally separated from his wife, it doesn’t mean he is legally divorced.

Many people may not be aware of this, but in some states, a spouse can sue a third party who interferes with his or her marriage or is responsible for the failure of that marriage. This is known as Alienation of Affection. Usually, the individual will sue the cheating spouse’s lover but even family members, clergy, therapists and counselors who have encouraged a divorce have been sued.

When it comes to which states a person can sue for Alienation of Affection, at the present time they are Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Utah.

So, before you get involved with a married man or woman, check your state’s laws by clicking here.

No comments: