|Miss Know It All|
Monday, September 14, 2020
If you have a persistent itch, discharge or discomforting rash, blisters, lesions, or unusual lumps, blood in the urine or pain when urinating, an unexplained rash or persistent sore throat, you may have an STI. Remember, not all STIs turn into a disease. Some STIs are curable, while others are manageable. However, you will not know what treatment is needed, if indeed you do have one unless you get it checked out by a doctor. Because some STIs show no symptoms at all, it is best to make it a habit to be regularly screened, especially if you are part of a high-risk patient group, which includes:
- Individuals who have multiple sex partners
- Men who have sex with other men (MSM)
- People who do not use condoms consistently
Types of STIs
STIs come from different sources and require a variety of treatments:
Bacterial infections - include Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, and other STIs, which stem from bacterial infections, and are easily cleared up by antibiotics.
Viruses - viruses that cause genital herpes (HSV), genital warts (HPV), and hepatitis A, B, and C can be managed with various antiviral treatments and preventative care for partners, such as antiviral and vaccinations. A retrovirus causes the well-known human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which weakens the immune system. Though HIV no longer automatically leads to AIDS, it still requires strict management from an infectious disease specialist.
Insects and germs - pubic lice (crabs) and scabies are infestations of tiny insects that live in the more textured body hairs of the pubis or within the skin itself, where they then lay eggs. They can only be spread through intimate, skin-to-skin contact, and can often be easily treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications. Finally, trichomonas vaginalis (TV) is the result of a microscopic germ. TV presents a fishy odor and yellowish or greenish discharge and is successfully treated with antibiotics.
If you have pain, bleeding, itching, discharge, burning during urination, or sores anywhere near the genital or the anal region, you may have contracted an STI. While it may be tempting to ignore or deny your symptoms out of fear or embarrassment, the best response is to be tested, immediately.
You may have a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a case of food poisoning. If you have oral, anal, or genital sex without protection, have multiple sexual partners, or know a partner who has an STI, then you are at risk. If you use unwashed sex toys, you may be accidentally infected.
If you suspect you have an STI, or if you simply want to know your status before having sex with a new partner, make an appointment to have the appropriate testing/screening done. #
Source: CityMD Urgent Care
Monday, September 07, 2020
After finding out the truth about his alien ancestry, the world’s first superhero joins forces with a group of local vigilantes, leading them in a fight against a secret society’s plans to enact a new world order.
Director/Writer/Producer: Ben Hughes - Starring Chris Abbey Jr, Leonard Searcy, Chris Massoglia, Miranda Shaughnessy, and Gabriel Kamas. Featuring Ava Justin, Joel Thingvall, Nick Hansen, and Roceathia Cornell.
The full movie is available for purchase at
Monday, August 31, 2020
|Miss Know It All|
If you think you have heard, seen, or read it all, think again. No matter how old you are, there is always something new to learn. I had to read an article twice to make certain I was not reading a work of fiction with a shocking ending.
We all know there are many ways to end a relationship or marriage: Divorce, or hiring someone to bump-off that person you no longer want in your life. Of course, I would never recommend the latter. It is not worth serving time for murdering someone because you can no longer stand him or her. On the other hand, maybe you met someone new and want to be with that individual, even though you are married.
|Image by Shutterbug75 from Pixabay|
Monday, August 24, 2020
Which site is your perfect match?" Make it easier in this new norm of social distancing with ConsumersAdvocate.org's guide on online dating sites. Go here to select your ideal match.
Monday, August 17, 2020
|Kevin Alexander and Lisa Brown Alexander|
Founders of Wellspring Manor & Spa
If you are looking for a unique spot to stay or wish to plan a memorable affair, look no further than Wellspring Manor & Spa | Luxury Bed & Breakfast.
1. What inspired you to establish this service? My husband and I wanted to create a luxury experience that spoke to the entertainment, culinary, arts, and accommodations needs of travelers of color.
|Photo by Retha Ferguson from Pexels|
2. Where did the name Wellspring Manor & Spa come from? We were looking for a name that evoked wellness, relaxation, restoration, and rejuvenation. We also wanted a name that reflected the timeframe in which the manor was built. Because the spa is a central part of “The Wellspring Experience,” we knew that the word “Spa” had to be in the name.
3. What are some of the most valuable lessons you have learned while operating this service? One of the most valuable lessons we have learned is to listen to our guests and to continue to exceed the highest standards of excellence. We have consistently received 5 out of 5 stars from our guests. Our guests have also been an excellent source of referrals and provided such positive feedback resulting in some of the best marketing we could ever have.
4. Are there any special skills or education one needs when starting a service such as yours? While having knowledge of the hospitality business is certainly helpful, it can be learned. Both my husband and I have strong backgrounds in business. The combination of collective experiences running businesses has been incredibly helpful. We strongly encourage folks getting into this business to study it inside and out and find a mentor or an experienced hospitality consultant to fill in the rest.
|Breakfast - Image by LangbeinA from Pixabay|
|Image by Nico H. from Pixabay|
6. You are located in the picturesque and culturally rich
suburb of Maryland ’s County, not far from Prince George , which is the epicenter of political happenings. Have any of your guests included politicians, no names necessary :)? Believe it or not, they haven’t. That said, we have had a few celebrity guests and other “well-heeled” but incredibly private business leaders, attorneys, physicians, and ministers. Guests seek us out to escape their busy lives. They can do that very effectively at Wellspring. Washington, D.C.
7. Do you plan to expand your service in other cities or abroad? That always remains an option for us!
8. As a business owner, what have been your biggest challenges, trials, or tribulations that you have faced or overcome? Our initial challenge was getting the word out and getting guests to appreciate that they could experience an upscale, luxurious experience in the heart of Prince George’s County, MD. Once we got the word out, followers and skeptics alike began to understand what was possible, and the response was very consistently positive. Being the first destination of our kind in the county came with some challenges, as well. It is always hard to be the first. Our biggest trial has been the Coronavirus. We have been completely shut down since mid-March. Having just opened our business in November 2018, we were just gaining momentum when the crisis hit. It has been financially and emotionally challenging to push through with no real end in sight to the pandemic.
9. What advice would you give someone who is thinking about starting a Bed and Breakfast? Do your research. Understand the guidelines affecting zoning, licensing, and permitting for the location where you plan to be located. Get to know the players in this space. Find a network of owners that will not see you as a competition but who will take you seriously. (The B&B industry does not have an overly large community of Black owners. It can be challenging to find your community.)
10. What type of comments or feedback have you received about your service? Consistently, positive feedback! We have been very intentional about creating a positive, upscale but personal guest experience. We very rarely can’t accommodate our guests’ requests. When we cannot, we make it our business to make up for it in ways that they simply do not expect. Excellence is central to everything that we do.
11. How do you manage your time when it comes to setting aside some time for yourself? Whew! We had almost no time to ourselves in the first year plus. Running a B&B can be a 24-hour/7-day-a-week undertaking. You have to be committed and understand that you will have very little time to yourself while you are ramping up your business.
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give our visitors a preview into your Wellspring Manor & Spa
Monday, August 10, 2020
COVID-19 does not seem to be leaving any time soon. Staying home does have its drawbacks, but not to worry. We have gathered some of our favorite reads by diverse authors from various genres: mysteries, thrillers, and suspense. Just click on the link(s) and enjoy reading these narratives with some endings that will leave you reeling.
Killing Signs 2 by Ernest Morris - Two lead detectives assigned to decipher ghastly murder cases realize they have arrested the wrong person for the crimes.
Layla’s Score by Andy Rausch - A hitman is hired to eliminate a deranged mobster’s son.
Deep Fried Trouble (Eugeena Patterson Mystery, Book 1 by Tyora Moody - The head of a neighborhood watch discovers the dead body of her former friend and neighbor.
Oven Baked Secrets - (Eugeena Patterson Mystery, Book 2) by Tyora Moody - Eugeena Patterson is back, solving the murder of her best friend’s son.
Lemon Filled Disaster (Eugeena Patterson Mystery, Book 3) by Tyora Moody - An amateur sleuth seeks to solve the murder of her future daughter-in-law’s ex.
London Sparks by A P Von K'ory - A young woman wants to lose her virginity and unknowingly wakes up next to a dead man.
Once You Go Black by Alex Cage - While a man is driving through a small southern town, a sheriff arrests him without probable cause.
Sunshine Scandal by Alex Cage - An overzealous police officer shoots a young man on his way home from playing basketball.
Transition of Power by Karen D. Bradley - A daughter is alienated from her law enforcement family.
Reduction (Casey Reddick Book 3) by Charles DeMaris - Dead bodies are discovered in a remote village in Kenya.
Monday, August 03, 2020
Therefore, I thought I would list four companies that make some of the most delicious cookies that will just fuel your appetite and leave you coming back for more. Trust me! You will not be able to eat just one cookie.
Partake Foods - are all about making everyday snacking a little easier, safer, and tastier for everyone. Their allergy-friendly, vegan, non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) cookies are free of the top 14 allergens (and gluten!) and are full of real, whole ingredients everyone can enjoy. Their chocolate chip cookies are just delectable. You can order their cookies on Amazon, at some Whole Foods and other retail outlets. Enter The Partake A Break Sweepstakes and Enjoy a $2 Off Partake At Whole Foods
Yummy Desserts - specializes in Yummy Cookies, Yummy Beverages, Yummy Cookie Platters, and Yummy Dog Treats. Without saying, their Chocolate Chip Cookies and Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies are my favorite.
Maya’s Cookies - offers freshly baked gourmet vegan cookies. They use the highest quality plant-based ingredients. No eggs, dairy, or animal products are in their products. I ordered their Ultimate Cookie Lovers Collection - half a dozen. The box included one of each cookie: Hawaiian, Brown Sugar Butterscotch, Espresso White Chocolate, Famous "Everything," Caramel Pecan, and Funfetti. Those cookies were gone in two days. I have now added these six cookies to my favorite list of confectioners.
Back to Nature Foods - presents a variety of plant-based snacks. My favorite cookies are their Chewy Chocolate Chunk and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin. Products are available nationwide and at Whole Foods. Go to their site and see what other munchies they offer.
Monday, July 27, 2020
The New York State Department of Health issued a June 25, 2020 travel advisory based on an Executive Order signed by Governor Cuomo. It generally requires anyone returning to New York from one of the 19 states listed below to self-quarantine for 14 days. All New Yorkers and out-of-state visitors are required to comply with the advisory in the best interest of public health and safety.
The travel advisory does not apply to people who simply pass through a designated state and stop for a period of fewer than 24 hours, such as at rest stops, airports, or during bus or train travel.
As more states reopen, the list of designated high-risk states may widen. Check the official New York State Department of Health Website for the most up-to-date list of designated states.
The 19 states named on June 25, 2020, on the New York State Department of Health travel advisory are:
Monday, July 20, 2020
Even though many of us are remaining home during the Coronavirus crisis, you can still make travel plans and go camping when this pandemic is over.
To learn how you can plan a memorable and safe camping event, check out Brian’s article by clicking here.